Dry Ice Safety and Precautions
Carbon Dioxide gas is heavier than air, therefore it can pool together at ground level. Dry ice is best used in a ventilated area due to the carbon dioxide gas that is released from a solid piece of dry ice. This is called sublimation. Although carbon dioxide gas is non toxic, it can displace oxygen. This is why it is very important to have proper ventilation when using dry ice. Always keep your windows open to bring in fresh air when transporting dry ice in your vehicle. Never swallow or eat dry ice.
Dry Ice Handling
Dry Ice temperature is extremely cold at -109.3 degrees F or -78.5 degrees C. Always handle dry ice with care and wear protective cloth or leather gloves when touching dry ice. An oven mitt or towel will work also. Prolonged contact on bare skin will freeze cells and cause injury similar to a burn.
Dry Ice Storage
Store dry ice in an insulated container. The thicker the insulation, the slower the dry ice will sublimate. Do not store dry ice in a completely air tight container. The sublimation of dry ice to carbon dioxide gas will cause any airtight container to expand or possibly explode. Do not store dry ice in unventilated rooms, cellars, autos, or boat holds.
Pickup Time and Transporting
Plan to pickup dry ice as close to the time of the intended use as possible. Carry dry ice in a well insulated container such as an ice chest or Styrofoam. And remember to practice proper Dry Ice Safety by wearing gloves at all times when handling dry ice.
Dry Ice Disposal
Because dry ice can cause carbon dioxide gas to accumulate and build up pressure, do not dispose of dry ice in a sewer, garbage disposal, or chute. DO allow leftover dry ice to sublimate in a well ventilated area.
Dry Ice Material Safety Data Sheet